Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Life For Me

I'm not exactly sure why I'm choosing to post my first blog during the least exciting part of my summer, but here goes nothing.

My parents came to Abilene on Saturday and loaded up all of my boxes...good thing my dad planned ahead and brought a U-Haul. You never realize how much junk you have until you move. I'll leave Abilene on Thursday, be in Cleburne for about 4 days, and fly to the big apple on August 5th. Now that all of my stuff is gone and I'm living out of a suitcase, I'm feeling pretty ready to get outta here. I've been stalking Craigslist since I decided to move to NYC, but I don't think I'll be able to find a good job until I'm actually in the city.

The next few days are going to be all about getting myself as prepared as possible for a life in which planning is basically pointless...a life in which you may be doing everything right and still not land a job. And as scary as that sounds when I say it out loud (which I try not to do very often), it's all that I want to do. I know there are a few jobs that I would not be unhappy doing, but there is no other job that makes me feel as fulfilled. More importantly, there is no other job that makes me feel like I'm following my purpose.

I believe that God wants to use me in this, which is why I'm allowing myself to do something as crazy as jump on a plane with no apartment, no job, and no agent. This move is going to be a big leap of faith for me. I've thought about having a fall back plan, like getting certified to teach just in case my acting doesn't work out. But I know myself well enough to know that when I play it safe, I don't give it my all. I think God deserves my all, so I'm jumping in. I've gotta leap so that God can keep me from hitting the ground.

I believe in the power of storytelling and art. And it humbles me to be a part of something so powerful. I know there will be days when nothing goes right, I'm completely discouraged, and I will want nothing more than to be back home. But, to steal from the fabulous movie A League of Their Own, "It's supposed to be hard. It's the hard that makes it good. If it wasn't hard, everybody would do it." With this move, there is an adventure to be had, a story to be told, and a step to be taken. Even the longest journey has to begin with the first step, so here's to step one.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hey! I had no idea you were joining this crazy world of blogging! Me too, I guess we can learn our way through this crazy blogging world together. :)