Monday, September 21, 2009

Concrete Jungle, Take 2

The eagle has landed. After a relatively easy flight--relative to the fiasco I went through with Expedia last Christmas-- my cabbie took me to my new hood where Jenavene met me curbside. After heaving my luggage up two flights of steep stairs, I was given the semi-grand tour of the neighborhood on our way to the boys' apartment. During that 5 block walk, I got my first taste of the Greek culture here. There was a block party down the street with people of all ages, families sitting on their porches who were talking to other families sitting on their porches, and not one person was rude. In 5 blocks. I feel like I should call Guiness and get them to record that in their next edition of world records. There were also no gun shots, no fist fights, no stab wounds, and no nicknames referring to my skin color. So far, so awesome.

Jen, Jonathan and I ate at a little dinner called Tasty's Diner (and rightfully so), then went back to my apartment. I'm going to get paint later today, and I'm about to go meet Jenavene to go to Ikea. So once the apartment is a little more put together, I'll take pictures and post them here. In short, this is starting out on the right foot. Keep me in your prayers and I promise to keep you posted. 

1 comment:

Lisa Lehrmann said...

I'm liking that neighborhood!! Miss ya in our neighborhood! Love ya Mom