Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Jack of All Trades

If there are any typos in this post, it's because my keyboard is a little bit rusty. It happens when you don't post in over a year. It's a little embarrassing that 2010 did not see one single update from this blogger, but here is my attempt at a comeback. Fingers crossed that it's as successful as Bon Jovi's.

My last year-ish... abridged:

After moving home from New York in December of 2009, I began searching for the answer to that age-old question-- not "How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?", although that question does still eat at me sometimes. I asked myself, "What am I supposed to do with my life now?" Apparently I'll be asking this question well into retirement. But since I had to make some sort of decision, I started doing research. I thought about going to graduate school and was wait-listed for A & M's George Bush School of Government and Public Service. Then I had a change of heart and decided to get my teaching certification and take my LSAT (Law School Admission Test). Here is where things get a little crazy. I am a teacher. They leave me alone in a room with 60 kids and want me to make them smarter. On top of that, I am also a coach. Volleyball, basketball and track are my newest areas of expertise. Sometimes I still wake up and wonder how this is all possible.

I ran a 5K with Benay, read some great books, did more studying than I ever did in college, and dyed my hair red. I spent my summer between teacher school in White Settlement and the swimming pool, wrote a lullabye for Beau, and lost 10 pounds due to my inability to handle the stress of the first few weeks of school. I got a little better at cooking--no exploding cakes this year.

I've adopted my old college sleep schedule just to get everything done, so I'm tired but I'm learning a lot. And if you know anything about me, you know I love to learn. I got to spend Thanksgiving at home for the first time in 3 years, and my family is all within driving distance. Tyler (yep, I'm dating someone, and he's got everybody impressed) moved out to Paducah for the next five months, but as long as he doesn't get hacked up by the Texas Chainsaw Massacre folks in nearby Childress or eaten by one of the 400 pound wild hogs around town, he'll be back this way too. My nephew calls me LuLu, like actually says it. I used to hate it when people called me LuLu growing up, but it's not so bad when he says it. There's no place like home.


I've missed writing. Sample essays are not quite as therapeutic or enjoyable as this. Maybe I'll be a writer when I grow up. And a teacher, a lawyer, a babysitter, a sister, a self-proclaimed chef, an actor, a daughter, a photographer and a runner. I am not someone who likes to limit myself to one or two talents. I guess you could say my love of learning causes me to have commitment issues. Hey, if you don't know where you're supposed to be going, might as well give every open door a chance. I'll get where I'm supposed to be, even if I take the long way around.

I know I skipped some important and exciting things, and didn't go into too much detail. But I've heard it said that it's good to leave 'em wanting more.

Happy 2011

No comments: