Sunday, August 10, 2008

Livin on Dreams and Spaghetti-O's

Ever heard of Murphy's Law? You know, "everything that can go wrong, will go wrong." Well, I'm a believer. These last few days have been one problem after another, and now I'm waiting in my empty apartment, praying that all of the furniture we ordered from IKEA shows up and that I'm smart enough to assemble it. IKEA is genius, but spending 7 hours there, over 3 of which were spent standing in line, kinda puts a damper on the joy of home decorating. I've discovered that when stuff is going all wrong, instead of getting grumpy or angry or sad like most people, I get giggling fits. I literally can't control it. I guess it's one of those things where you laugh to keep from crying. Or maybe I'm already going crazy.

New York has got to be the people-watching capital of the world. If I'm ever bored, I can just find a bench somewhere and sit and watch. The entertainment provided by the citizens of this lovely city is unrivaled by any movie or reality show.

I've noticed that New Yorkers are always in a rush. The U.S. should recruit people in this city for the speed-walking event in the Olympics--the gold medal would be in the bag. What's strange, though, is that they rush to get to the subway or the bus stop, and then they spend 15 or 20 minutes just standing and waiting for the train or bus to come. I've spent most of my time waiting and walking. There is also a serious shortage of seating available here, especially in the subway stations. When we were riding on the subway yesterday, after our long day at IKEA, Kara said "We've been here, what, 5 days? And God created the world in 6?! Man, his feet must have been REALLY sore." My boxes of stuff are supposed to get here on Thursday, and the first thing I will do is put those Dr. Scholls inserts into my shoes.

Kara and I installed her air conditioner last night. It's crooked and we couldn't get the left vent to fit, but it's working so we are proud of our work!


Now that we've got our place, we're working on cleaning it and fixing it up to make it feel like home. I think that's going to be really important for us so that we don't give up here. I'll post before and after pictures soon. Now I just have to find a job...easy, right?

By the way, I bought my first Backstage yesterday so I could start checking out auditions. I'm officially a starving artist :)

"Plunge boldly into the thick of life, and seize it where you will, it is always interesting."-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
"Vision is not enough, it must be combined with venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps, we must step up the stairs."- Vaclav Havel

4 comments:

rachelprice said...

Moving is always stressful no matter where you are going. Can't wait to see pictures soon. Have a great first full week in NYC!!

Mary said...

Hey, no fear, you're doing awesome! You're way stronger than me...I woulda been calling Brandon to let me come home alright. ;) IKEA IS fun, but yes, even 7 hours is pushing the "fun factor" of home decor to the brink, but hey, we'll make it fun; we'll post our work in progress and you come back with an aggressive "in our face!" view of what y'all's place is becoming. Sounds fun, right?... :) Love you bunches and know we're praying for you daily.

hejlyeah said...

I guess they DO have an IKEA. That's awesome. Have SO much fun!

Mike Lehrmann said...

Ok, here's a quote for YOU...."Success is not searching for you. You must do the seeking. Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved." - William Jennings Bryan