Thursday, August 28, 2008

Look Ma, No Hands!

The weather here is my idea of perfect. Right at 70 degrees, just a little breeze, and not a cloud in sight. So perfect, in fact, that I decided to be a little brave today and go for a jog in Prospect Park. One great thing about this place is that you truly have to work at not living an active lifestyle, even if you never go jogging or cycling or join a yoga class. Just living in this city is a full body workout. You like the Stair Master? Take a Subway. Trust me, the stairs you have to climb and the people you have to dodge make your thighs burn and increase your agility. For those wanting a more advanced workout, try transferring trains at the 42nd St. station. I never went on Wilderness Trek, but I'm pretty sure I know what it feels like to climb that mountain.

Before I left home, I thought I would try to eat as healthy as possible because I probably wouldn't be able to afford anything but Chef Boyardee, Ramen, and the occasional pizza once I got here. But in NYC, the healthy food actually seems to be cheaper than the fatty food. Fast Food chains aside, it's nearly impossibly to find anything fried. And a lot of food here is organic, so it is possible to be poor and skinny due to nutritional choices instead of total starvation. Bonus!

Everyone here is attached to their iPod. Even homeless people have them. Okay...maybe that's a stretch, but it's nearly impossible to spot someone on the street who doesn't have headphones sprouting roots in their ears. I caught on and started bringing mine with me everywhere I go. It's nice, it's kind of like having theme music for your life. Like today, when I finished jogging my 2 miles, Destiny's Child's version of "Amazing Grace" came on. Seeing as I hadn't run in over a month and was huffing and puffing so hard I could put the Big Bad Wolf out of business, I couldn't agree more, Beyonce.

Keeping to yourself so much may seem very lonely, but for right now, I really appreciate it. I've been wanting to do some self-reflection and it seems like this new start in this new city has been ideal for self-discovery. It affords me every opportunity for spiritual, mental, physical, and psychological growth. It's a place that accepts individuality, embraces the idea of change, and invites you to open your eyes to the world of possibilities around you. New York City is my own personal Barack Obama.


God tells us to seek and we will find, so I hope that you'll keep praying for me as I continue seeking. I wrote in my first blog that I wanted to take a leap of faith to prove that God would keep me from hitting the ground. I don't know if you have noticed, but in only 3 weeks, God has provided me with literally everything I need to survive here. I have a house, a job, and food. And I am learning more about life and about people than I ever dreamed. Not only have I not hit the ground, but I'm flying pretty high. And for once it is easy for me to see who is holding me up.

2 comments:

hejlyeah said...

I LOVE the "my personal Barack Obama" quote. So much, that I might attribute a quote to you on my blog. Glad you're having a good time!

Lisa Lehrmann said...

Linz you sure have a way with words!!!!So happy everything it going so great great! You deserve it! You're a sweety! Love ya