Friday, August 15, 2008

The Rains Came Down and the Floods Came Up

I'm very proud of myself because this morning was the first time I rode the subway all by myself. I know, I'm growing up so fast. I went to Target for about the millionth time to try to get some storage bins for my room, which is slowly nearing completion. I promise to post pictures as soon as I can. On the train, I was sitting by a couple of men who were having quite a heated discussion in what sounded like Russian, and right across from an elderly lady who wore a baggy blue t-shirt with the word TEXAS across the top...complete with cowboys on horses grazing the wide open fields. I had to smile.

Kara and I have been cooped up in the house for the past 3 days waiting on various deliveries and for the cable guy to show up. Finally, today, the cable guy hooked us up and we decided that we should have a night out to keep ourselves from going crazy.

We took a trip up to Columbus Ave. ( which is a really beautiful area). We went to Barnes & Noble so I could get my NFT (Not For Tourists) Book. It's basically every map you could possibly need to survive here in the city, plus names and addresses of most of the restaurants, shops, etc. On the way to Urban Outfitters we bumped into a fortune teller who told me "Oooooh, you have a good aura." I took that as quite a compliment and went on my merry way. Kara wanted to take me to one of her favorite places for dinner, a place called Alice's Tea Cup. It was here that I fell in love.

Alice's Tea Cup is, of course, Alice in Wonderland themed. We split a dinner called the Mad Hatter, which included 2 large pots of tea, 2 sandwiches, 3 scones, 6 cookies and a huge piece of chocolate-something cake for dessert. We couldn't even finish it all. I loved it so much that I'm considering applying there. It was a very merry unbirthday to me.

After dinner, we were supposed to go a museum where our friend Nicole was catering and offered to give us some sweet free stuff, but it starting raining. Actually, "raining" doesn't quite cover what happened. We bought a cheap umbrella (that we could only half fit under) at a roadside stand. We kept getting turned around and were completely soaked, so after 30 minutes of sloshing through puddles, gave up on finding the museum and just came home. On the way into our building a woman and her daughter were staring out the window. The woman looked at us and then asked her daughter, "Is it raining?" I just smiled as we squished to the elevator and thought...here's your sign.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Ohhh Lindsey, you had Brandon and I laughing on that last comment! I don't think you could've had a more fitting answer. We're so excited to see the pictures for the "after" bit showing all your creative genius at its finest! We pray you're staying warm and dry (although we were apparently a little late on that prayer...), but know we love Lindseys' even when they're all soaking wet! :) Love you.